Hang Ten for Your Health
Not only does surfing look cool and is a great item to check off your bucket list, it’s great for your health, too! We’ve got 5 reasons why you should go ahead and sign up for our 90-minute Hilton Head Surf Camp offered Monday-Friday in order to improve your health.
1) It’s great cardio! You might not think so on first glance — after all there’s no running involved — but you will do a tremendous amount of paddling that will get your heart rate up and keep it there. The average person burns about 400 calories an hour surfing, so it helps with weight loss, as well.
2) Build shoulder and back strength – All that paddling also uses your back, arm and shoulder muscles, so expect a great workout for your upper body. That’s why all those surfer dudes have great arms!
3) Stabilize your core – To successfully ride a wave, you’ve got to balance, and that takes core strength. On the beach (or at home), practice lying flat and jumping up on your board while tightening that core and you’ll feel the burn!
4) Increase leg strength – While it’s largely an upper body and core workout, surfing does get your legs in the mix too, making it a full body exercise. After all, your legs have to keep you stable while you’re riding the wave. You can also use a technique called kick paddling where you slide your body to the back of the board and use your legs to kick for an even better workout for those gams.
5) Adrenaline rush – There’s nothing quite like the adrenaline rush you get from finally mastering your balance on the board and actually riding a wave to shore (or close to it J). It’ll make you want to do it again and again!
So once you learn how to surf at Surf Camp, if you make it a regular part of your life, expect weight loss, a toned body and a better outlook on life!